Wednesday 9 June 2010

Dracula to corsets

So... i'm reading Dracula again. Bloody good book- well written, nice format with the journal entries and letters. But it's quite possible that it reaches my top 10 because it's part set in my favourite place in the world. Whitby. The little seaside town that stole my heart years ago. The place, along with Robin Hoods Bay just down the coast, which is the only place I feel totally content. And when I read this book it's almost like i'm there. I can visualise the streets, The Cresent, the graveyard at St Mary's and, of course, the Abbey.


It is truly amazing (to me at least) when you first see the Abbey as you enter the town. It makes me feel like i'm finally home. I will eventually move there. when I can afford it. I already chose my house.
Here I think I must confess- I go to Whitby Goth Weekend every year and have dressed up for 3 years now. And it's bloody fantastic!

Goth's seem to have a bad rep which is totally unfounded. Apart from the usual idiotic kids who just want the label and screw it up for everyone else. But honestly, everyone is just so nice! People that you've never met before in your life will smile at you and say how great you look.


And the clothes! I can safely say that there are several fortunes worth of outfit wandering around that town twice a year. I unfortunately don't have the budget for the clothes i'd like (although I seriously recommend Moonmaiden Gothic Clothing an online seller who handmakes everything for a really good price) but my outfit was still worth about £100 and mine was kind of plain!

But I think this year i'll spend a bit of my hard-earned cash on at least a new corset.

Even if i'm only a part-time goth.




No comments:

Post a Comment